an account of making the most of each idea and persevering every dream imaginable.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Dad





I admire many of my dad’s characteristics; however, there is one in particular that I’ve lately come to appreciate with growing conviction.  An example just occurred the other day as we were running to watch a Women’s World Cup soccer match.  The trail to the Community Center (where they screen the game and give out prizes and such) is about six miles from our house and, thus, proved us with quite a while of so called “father-daughter time.” To be honest, I remember little more than the gist of our conversations.  What I remember most is the occasional occurrence of another runner.  No matter the type- male, female, child, dog, stroller, bicyclist, old, young, serious, casual- my dad always stopped mid sentence and would pause to smile sand say “Hallo!!” as each passed us by.  Now, in retrospect, I can confidently say that he has never failed to do so under any circumstance. Whether it’s down our German street, in the parking lot, at the grocery store, in the doctor’s office, he always finds time for a simple, cheery Hello.  What stuck me as particularly memorable the day of our run was not my dad’s enthusiasm- that I’ve always taken for granted. But it was people’s reactions: it undoubtedly varies, but overall a certain pattern is detectable. The old German men that genuinely smile back are becoming a rarity. For the most part, I’ve noticed that people mostly respond with irritated and suspicious faces, hardly allowing a nod.  To realize that society today has become suspicious toward a good-natured greeting makes me sad. But indeed, I’ve noticed it as well walking in the hallways at school!  People hardly make eye contact anymore.  Passing by a fellow student only to have them avert their eyes to the floor as if the blue linoleum was more important that you is disheartening!! What has happened to social chivalry? It’s important for society to develop that communal bond.  If everyone smiled and said “Hello!” as they passed, so much animosity could disappear. A simple smile has the immense power to change someone’s day!  Whether it’s the store clerk, your friend’s father, a stranger, the mailman, or (and I should say especially) the janitor, it is important to acknowledge them.  It not only lets them know you see that they are there, but that you care. You care they are human and you care they are more than rocks and trees and motorcycle tires: it adds personality to our increasingly solitary and cyber world.  Thank you Dad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment