an account of making the most of each idea and persevering every dream imaginable.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day 2- First Impressions

This morning I woke up, extremely tired, to small kitten footsteps pounding on my tin roof.  At first it just resembled the heavy downpour of rain that rattled the roof all night but soon it's meows drew me out of bed.  My room is quite small, about 10 by 15 feet.  I've got a bed, des, and dresser\closet that fill most of the space but the very middle and doorway. My light source is a bare bulb hanging from the ceiling and to open the door I must pulla wire and push my whole shoulder weight down slightly and then forward.  I love it!  The whole house is quite ingenious.  It maximizes all natural light and rain drainage necesities.  You enter a big metal door from the street into a small courtyard covered partially by metal sheets adorned with exotic and huge leafy plants to block the forceful sun.  It is completely open and wall-less except for the kitchen and livingroom that are seperated by the only divide.  Up a stone staircase cut into the side wall of courtyard are the bedrooms.  In my hosts' house there are other volunteers staying, though I havent met any yet.  The singular bathroom is at the end of the second floor shaped like and L.  The rooms all face outward to the hallway\balcony.  My shower last night was short to say the least.  It had minimal hot water, but I didnt mind because the coolness kept me awake.  You arent allowed to flush anything down the toilet, which i find weird. Not even toilet paper. For that, there is a wastebasket adjacent to the toilet.
My host parents Christopher and Nelly are extremely nice.  I found out they've been "hosting" for almost 14 years which explains why they are so good at it.  This morning Christopher took me into town so I could familiarize myself and withdraw some Quetzal, the local currency.  The first thing I saw as I stepped out of the giant metal door onto the cobblestone street was a family of women in traditional clothing, balancing fruit on their heads.  The patters on their clothes juxtaposed with the colorful, but plain building facades is a beautiful first impression. I cant wait to go exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment