an account of making the most of each idea and persevering every dream imaginable.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day 11- Ordinary Unordinary Day

The supplies couldnt make it up the mountain because the truck wasnt four wheel drive so today was unusual from the beginning.  We began framing the house and quickly finished.  Then because we had nothing more to do, we dug more foundation trenches for the house scheduled for construction next week.  I dare say digging is the hardest thing I've had to do this far, and that's because you are bent over at an awkward 90degree angle and are constantly using some muscle to its full extent.  But anyways, that was all relatively normal.
To my delight we played soccer at lunch with some of the local boys.  During that hour the temperature rose to the hottest it has been since I've arrived. I must've sweat 6 or 7 pounds off.  Right as we were about to finished up, I ripped my pants. A clean rip right from the zipper all the way down to the crease of my knee so that it flared open right away.  All the boys fell on the floor laughing as I tried my best to conceal myself and hold the fabric together.  Pretty soon I was cracking up too and ran back to the house to ask the mother for help.  I sheepishly approached the girls, who were all under a tree braiding each other's hair, but I didnt even have to say a word; the grandmother grabbed my arm with a smile and took me inside.  She gave me one of their skirts (really just a long piece of fabric wrapped around your torso) and tied it up with the ribbon in her hair.  She took my pants and asked if I could sew, but before I could even answer that she shook her head and said she would take care of it. I ran back down to join the soccer game again, and stood in for a makeshift "portero."  Only 15 minutes later my pants were ready, and literally as good as new- I cant even tell there is an extra seam.
Then the rain came.  We all crowded in the family's metal shed to wait it out.  Inside was so tiny, and as the rain kept pouring I could see how important a real, concrete house really was.  From the doorway we could see the pathway outside quickly  morph into a river.  The muddy dirt seeped in the sides of the house and rain trickled down the inside of the walls.  It created a muddy soupy floor- only the very middle was dry. The clouds rolled in and soon we were enveloped by fog.  The thunder and lightning disrupted the monotony of the rain pounding on the tin roof. 
The I thought about our trenches.  At one point when it seemed to sibuside a bit I ran outside and saw that they were both newly filled with water: a sickening answer to my wish for pool only hours earlier.  I ran back inside and we proceeded to wait out the storm.  About an hour and a half later we made a break for the truck still parked on top of the mountain.  Tomorrow the water in the trenches awaits me and my muscles and my bucket.  Joy.
But for now, I'm off to a Guatemalan yoga class.

No comments:

Post a Comment