an account of making the most of each idea and persevering every dream imaginable.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 9- El Volcan Pacaya

On my day off from building, I hiked a volcano.  Then at the top, I roasted a marshmellow over the active volcano's crater.
We got up at 5:30 for a 6 o'clock departure to the Pacaya Volcano that shadows the city of Antigua.  The bus ride was cozy at best; we were packed in a mini van with 15 other sleepy adventurers. It took almost 2 hours to reach the top of the volcano. We fought through wild forrest and jungle-like terrain while following our crazy tour-guide Rudulfo.  He told us much about the explosion of May 2010 and the native plants that can be used as different types of medicine.  I found it particularly interesting that they seemed to have every sort of remedy growing on the volcano because its soil was so fertile.  It was an extremely long day.  I passed out in the van on the way home and the driver had to shake me awake again.  Tomorrow will be another long day.  I suppose the rest and warm shower will all come at once when I get back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment